Situated a few kilometres from the coast of Southern Norway you find the elegant and quaint Boen Manor. Previously the estate was inaccessible for the public, however; in 2012 the estate opened its doors for private arrangements. Today, after extensive restorations and upgrades, the manor appears as a gem within the region. A traditional park surrounds the beautiful manor, and the house welcomes its guests to large, bright rooms and parlours. The classical interior of the manor creates a classical, yet distinct environment for the private festivities and corporate events.
From a historical perspective, salmon and timber established the foundation for Boen with the river ‘Tovdalselva’. The river runs through the property and provides the opportunity to combine social arrangements with exciting salmon fishing.
Today, after extensive restoration, the manor appears just as beautiful as from its very establishment. The main house has a new kitchen, and the drawing rooms and parlours are remodelled into their original form with its furnaces, furniture and art.
The wings of the main house offer two newly renovated apartments with two double bedrooms in each. The large park has as well been upgraded, and the sheep on the estate maintains the cultural landscape that surrounds the estate and the river.
In this period there was an overflow of salmon in the Tovdals River. It also functioned as a transport route for timber from the large oak forests. Throughout the whole of Europe during the 18th and 19th century, there was a voracious demand for timber, and Boen established a sawmill by the river. From the 1600s Boen Manor’s business has been a wealthy and blooming one. With its appealing and central position in the Southern region, the estate appeared as attractive for both royalty and noblemen. The estate’s connection to salmon fishing as well attracted British nobility, and as a result a rich, cultural life soon emerged.
The construction of the main house was completed in 1813, built in a typical Southern Norwegian classist style, and has been preserved since 1923. From 1815 to 1939 the property was owned by the Hegermann family, which administered the estate throughout four generations. During this period the estate moved away from traditional agriculture and became the magnificent manor we know today. In 1939 shipbroker and timber merchant Johan G. Olsen bought the manor.